Flyfishing for Australian Murray Cod

Murray Cod in Action!

7 responses

1. Nick, Nick, Nick…What more can i say, BLOODY AWESOME mate. The quality of the footage is great and the cod country looks even better and you grunting and groaning sounds cool and in a nice way 🙂 it just shows how much curry they can give you and with the right technique you can pull big fish and land them in a tight river system.

Just one thing i noticed you strip the fish in not reel your backing on quickly and fight the fish with the reel, why is that ?

Keep up the good work and theirs more goodies coming your way soon: )

Cheers Virty

September 3, 2011 at 8:34 am

• flymasta

Virty,
      Once I pull the fish out of the snags, I usually put the flyline back on the flyreel when using barbed hooks. I crimped the barb on your “Zonic” fly and the slightest hesistation or pressure release you can drop fish.
      Note in the video, if you don’t have direct line path contact or forget to strip strike you’l lose fish also.
      Concerning the grunting and groaning, It’s been a long winter and I’m slightly out of “fish fighting” condition! .
      Regards Nick

September 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

2. Haak

I didn’t know Female Russian Tennis players fished for Murray Cod!

Awesome Stuff Nick! That last fish smashed it! Well done mate!!!

September 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm

• flymasta

Dear Jason
      I have video footage of you casting remember!, so be nice, be very nice my Canadian friend!.
      Missed some awsome rod tip action due to flat batteries, I’ll fix that problem but

September 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm

3. jon

nice vid just wondering the river you were in if its not a locaion x

September 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm

• flymasta

G’day Jon
      It was the Macintyre river, but to be honest most of the rivers in the New England hold a good population of Cod.
      Regards Nick.

September 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm

4. stuart

bloody awesome nick. now you have got the tecno stuff now theres no stopping you.

September 21, 2011 at 5:08 pm